Apr 28, 2013
On this week's Byte:
Interview with Simon Jackson of Esri Australia on his Twitter map of Melbourne, which showcases
different languages and profanity. (Link: Simon's blog post about the project.)
- The Bundestag (German Parliament) has adopted a motion against
granting software patents.
- The US House of Representatives passes CISPA despite mostly
opposing it last year.
- Google Glass about a year away for consumers.
- 'Digilantes' crowd-source justice in the wake of the Boston
bombings last week. While law enforcement agencies look for answers
do sites like Reddit, 4chan and Liveleak help or hinder the
- The Secret World of Codes and Cryptography Part of the Laneway
Learning program, Monday 29 April, Ferdydurke, 8-9:15pm.
- Registrations open for Australian Centre for Broadband
Innovation hack days in Melbourne and Sydney. Workshop ideas with
peers and be mentored by key professionals in the industry
including CSIRO, Intel, NBN Co and NICTA. Sydney 11 May, Melbourne
Saturday 18 May, 9-5
- Web Directions Code, 2-3 May